Here are a bunch of ideas (no pun intended!) for using the kale, chard and lovely greens on the beets…
* Remove stems from leaves by folding the leaf in half lengthwise and stripping or slicing away the stems; but use them! Sauté stems along with onions before adding the greens.
* Sauté leaves of kale and/or chard in garlic butter or with onion.
* Toss steamed leaves with olive oil, lemon juice, S&P. For an Asian flavor, toss with toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar and soy sauce. Serve over rice, top with grilled pastured pork.
* Include leaves in stir-fries with different colored and textured veggies such as peas.
* Sub chard/beet greens in recipes calling for fresh spinach like quiches, lasagna, omelets, & crepes.
* Add chopped or sliced raw kale to hearty soups and stews toward the end of cooking time.
* For breakfast, sauté slivered greens and garlic in frying pan before adding to eggs for scrambling.
* For richer greens, dot cooked greens with butter or cream and season with fresh herbs and/or S&P.