We have the Perfect Job for the right person!
We are looking for an experienced, hard working and organized person to be our Farm Manager. You will manage all aspects of year round annual vegetable production on the farm.
Dancing Roots Farm has been a respected provider to Portland’s vibrant food scene since 1998. Top area chefs, caterers and food processors recognize us as a grower of high quality vegetables and culinary herbs. We are located 25 minutes east of downtown Portland, OR, in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge just above the Wild & Scenic Sandy river.
We are a production farm with a strong focus on efficiency, quality and customer satisfaction. Harvesting, planting and most field work is done by hand. Bed prep, mowing and most cultivation is done with equipment, ranging from an 80hp Kubota to a diesel ACG to a BCS walk-behind used in four 20×100 greenhouses.
This is a year-round, full time position. High summer hours (50-60/wk including many Saturdays) are balanced out by low winter hours.
Your Primary Responsibilities
- Supervise and work with our small farm crew on all field work and harvesting
- Make and carry out weekly planting schedule for prophouse & field seeding, transplanting and irrigation
- Share scheduled tractor work w/owner – tillage, cultivation, seeding & mowing
- In other words, run the day-to-day operations of a diversified vegetable farm. The owners will be around and available in a pinch, but you’ll be in charge.
- A minimum of 2 full years managing a mixed vegetable farm
- Enthusiastic about growing high quality, delicious food
- Effective at supervising and motivating others with respect and patience
- Self-directed and able to prioritize and delegate tasks effectively
- Attentive to detail and competent at record keeping
- Demonstrated experience with the safe operation & maintenance of farm equipment
- Small farm infrastructure know how: irrigation, basic carpentry, vehicle/machinery maintenance
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds repeatedly and do physical labor for long hours
- Current driver’s license, clean driving record and reliable transportation
- Excellent physical health & mental stamina to keep a positive, professional attitude throughout the season
In addition, our ideal candidate…
- speaks some Spanish
- knows how to use Excel
- is a non-smoker
- doesn’t mind occasionally dancing in the fields or busting out in song
Salary: DOE, plus year-end bonus for completion of season, some paid holidays and access to plenty of fresh vegetables.
Minimum 2 year commitment
Timeline: This position closes on March 15, 2017
To apply: Send a resume, cover letter and 3 solid work references to: email@example.com