We have the Perfect Job for the right person!
We are looking for an experienced and organized person to be our Farm Manager to direct all aspects of year-round, organic annual vegetable production.
Dancing Roots Farm has been a respected player in Portland’s vibrant food scene since 1998. Top chefs, caterers and food processors recognize us as growers of high quality vegetables and culinary herbs. We are located 25 minutes east of downtown Portland, OR, in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge just above the Wild & Scenic Sandy river.
We are a production farm with a strong focus on quality, customer satisfaction and efficiency. Harvesting, planting and most field work is done by hand. Bed prep, mowing and most cultivation is done with equipment, ranging from an 80hp Kubota to a diesel ACG, to a BCS walk-behind used in four 20×100 greenhouses.
This is a salaried, year-round, full time position. High summer hours (50-60/wk including many Saturdays) are balanced out by low winter hours.
Your Primary Responsibilities
- Supervise and work alongside our small crew on all field work and harvesting
- Carry out weekly planting schedule (that you’ll help create) for prophouse & field seeding, transplanting and irrigation
- Share scheduled tractor work w/owner – tillage, cultivation, seeding & mowing
- In other words, oversee the day-to-day operations of a diversified vegetable farm. The owners will be around and available, but you’ll get to run the show!
- 3 years experience in organic mixed vegetable production
- 1 year of management, such as crew leader, harvest mgr or assistant mgr
- Enthusiasm for growing high quality, delicious food
- Effective at supervising and motivating others with respect and patience
- Self-directed and able to prioritize and delegate tasks effectively
- Attentive to detail and competent at record keeping
- Demonstrated experience with the safe operation & maintenance of farm equipment
- Small farm infrastructure know how: irrigation, basic carpentry, vehicle/machinery maintenance
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds repeatedly and do physical labor for long hours
- Current driver’s license, clean driving record and reliable transportation
- Excellent physical health & mental stamina to keep a positive, professional attitude throughout the season
In addition, our ideal candidate…
- speaks some Spanish
- knows how to use Excel
- is a non-smoker
- doesn’t mind occasionally dancing in the fields or busting out in song
Salary: $24 – 28,000 DOE, plus year-end bonus for completion of season, some paid holidays, educational opportunities (conferences, workshops, etc), and all the farm fresh produce you want.
Minimum 2 year commitment
Timeline: This position closes on March 15, 2017
To apply: Send a resume, cover letter and 3 solid work references to: firstname.lastname@example.org